Easy Summer Tomato Salad
A fresh and easy tomato basil salad, inspired by summer ingredients. Make it into panzanella or make it as-is for a grain free dish! Adapted slightly from Serious Eats.
Servings 3 -4 small servings
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes halved or other tomatoes cut into small bites
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 small shallots minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard I like more!
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup basil leaves chopped
Place tomatoes in a colander set over a bowl and season with the salt. Toss to coat. Set aside at to drain, tossing occasionally. Let them drain for at least 15 minutes (I usually do 30).
After you're finished draining, remove the tomatoes from the colander and add them to a separate serving bowl. In the small bowl with the tomato juice, add the rest of the dressing ingredients: shallot, garlic, mustard, vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Add the dressing to the tomatoes and stir to combine.
Keeps well in the fridge for 2-3 days!