Hi Friends! Sharing this quick and easy spiced chickpea recipe that I made last week. This is a super easy, 5 minute dish that you can make if you have a few spices and chickpeas on hand. I served it on top of yogurt with veggies for a savory lunch. The chickpeas would also be great on top of a salad, or as a side dish with naan and an Indian curry.
This recipe uses Indian spices in a less typical way – toasting seeds vs. just adding in curry or turmeric powder. “Golden” everything with turmeric is so popular lately, but I think the warmness of these spices is much more subtle. Adjust the spices according to the levels that you like. I think the cumin and mustard seeds really make it; the fennel is optional.
Start by warming a pan over medium heat and add in some oil (I used avocado oil). When the oil is getting hot, add in your spices and toast them up. You’ll smell them get fragrant and they seeds will begin to pop! You can cover it at this point and let it cook a few more minutes.
Then just toss in the chickpeas with some lemon juice! Done.
Serve on top of a salad or yogurt or alone as a side dish. It would also be great if you mixed in the chickpeas with yogurt, lemon and cilantro into a salad. Bon appetit!
Easy Indian Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas or about 2 cups cooked, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon avocado or canola oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the oil and let warm.
- Add in the spices and stir to coat. Continue cooking (toasting) the spices until fragrant and they begin popping (you may want to cover it or take it off the heat if your pan is small and they pop all over).
- Add in the chickpeas and toss to coat. Finally, stir in the lemon juice and combine.
- Serve as a side salad, on top of greens, or on top of savory yogurt.