Hello friends, it’s been a while! Popping in to share DEEEEZ sandwiches, because they were so delicious.
We are in full on holiday mode here in D.C., baking lots of cookies, Christmas lights up. Pedro even made his first cookie EVER!!!! this year. I haven’t really done any gift shopping yet…..but I still have a week. May the force be with me.
Anyway, these bagel sandwiches! The combinations were simple but delicious and made for an easy, last minute breakfast when I thought I didn’t have much left at home. We freeze our bagels, so I defrosted one and toasted it up nice and crunchy to start. This plain bagel, seemingly missing a serious layer of toppings, seemed like it would need something creamy on top. I spotted half an avocado in the fridge, so I decided to use that up and layered one half with it, leaving the other for peanut butter!! You could just top both sides with a little salt at this point and call it a day, but I had some Tuscan kale to use up, so I crisped it up in the oven like kale chips, then put that on top. So delicious! In summary:
Bagel + Peanut Butter+ Kale.
Try subbing in almond butter. Even more delicious. Creamy works well!
Bagel + Avocado + Sea Salt + Kale
Crispy kale brings a nice crunchy alongside the avocado.
I know this combination may seem odd at first, but I find that it just works. Something about the earthiness of kale complements the richness of avocado and nut better well. I’ve been a big fan of avocado // kale // almond butter since discovering it via this blog and it has not disappointed despite my numerous modifications and additions 🙂 . Excited to share it with you now!! Try it out and let me know what you think.
- 1 bagel (English muffin or bread would work well, too!)
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter (or almond butter)
- Half of an avocado, mashed
- 1 cup kale*
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss kale in the olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until kale looks crunchy. Remove and let cool.
- Toast the bagel or bread until desired crispiness (I like mine crunchy to counter the smooth toppings!).
- Spread the peanut butter on one half and the avocado on another. Add a sprinkle of sea salt the avocado side if desired.
- Layer on the crispy kale, making it "stick" a little to the spread so it stays on top.
- Serve as halves, or put the sides together for a sandwich!